Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-01-2024, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhatibi View Post
The book appears to argue that posture is no better than phrenology, racism included, in judging character which seems reasonable based on the current state of body language research.
Let me put it another way:

Poor posture gives bad IMPRESSION. Unfortunately, we can't stop people from coming to knee jerk conclusions upon seeing a person with poor posture, bad teeth, or other physical characteristics, but perception becomes reality and can negatively impact the judged.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
The quote above is just the first question of the interview, but the answer to the second question gives better context for the reset of the interview. The 1st and 2nd questions:

In other words, the author's interest isn't poor posture itself, their interest is with the obsession with poor posture.

Even more illuminating is the book description from the publisher, particularly the last sentence:
^^this. The posts on whether posture actually has health effects are completely beside the point.
Old 04-30-2024, 01:36 PM

Last edited by BdaGhisallo; 04-30-2024 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-30-2024, 01:44 PM

IMO, we have generationally lost a considerable amount of the natural lordosis in our lower spine from driving, prolonged disk sitting, slouching, and the like. This, to me, is the greatest cause of disk-related lower back pain, sciatica, etc. The good news is that cycling on a well fitted bike creates extension in the lower back which helps.
Old 04-30-2024, 03:22 PM

edited

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
The good news is that cycling on a well fitted bike creates extension in the lower back which helps.
That is what I thought until last fall.

I started having back problems such that my typical Chiro adjustment no longer worked. Siting was mad painful and for the first time in my life, cycling was impossible. I had difficulties walking straight but when I could, I did. I could also run carefully....and I did up hills. But damn, putting on pants and socks was difficult, sleeping painful, etc.

My Chiro suspected that I may have injured a psoas muscle and suggested I try needling. I did (plus painful deep massage) and damn, it worked. That and strengthening the lower back muscles.

Today I'm fine. Better actually because I can now easily touch my toes and then some.

What I learned is that cycling creates problems much like sitting does. So what I did was cut one cycling day from my week and added a walk/run hills day.
Old 04-30-2024, 02:57 PM
formerly Landshark_98

I think it's hard to argue with the bio-physics. I have 3 cervical disks reminding each day about my posture and head position; whether I can ever again comfortably ride a road bike remains to be seen but 6 months of pt, traction and chiro designed to change my forward head position seems to be helping, and one need not be overly tuned into how one feels to differentiate the difference between a body bound up at the end of a day of sitting and one stretched and limber. Let's see what the author thinks when she's a few decades older.

The book may have a point, but I don't think it's about biology and health. Rather in today's world, seems to me, too many people looking for validation and excuses rather than taking on personal responsibility for their state.

The NYT article that Josh linked re the fat excuser left me slack jawed and truly sad for her kids, for whom it is a 24/7 all you can eat junk food buffet of highly processed chemicals - plastic bins full of Oreos .... damn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2024, 04:06 PM

Sorry to hear about the back

Strong agree on people looking for validation. It is sort of disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
I think it's hard to argue with the bio-physics. I have 3 cervical disks reminding each day about my posture and head position; whether I can ever again comfortably ride a road bike remains to be seen but 6 months of pt, traction and chiro designed to change my forward head position seems to be helping, and one need not be overly tuned into how one feels to differentiate the difference between a body bound up at the end of a day of sitting and one stretched and limber. Let's see what the author thinks when she's a few decades older.

The book may have a point, but I don't think it's about biology and health. Rather in today's world, seems to me, too many people looking for validation and excuses rather than taking on personal responsibility for their state.

The NYT article that Josh linked re the fat excuser left me slack jawed and truly sad for her kids, for whom it is a 24/7 all you can eat junk food buffet of highly processed chemicals - plastic bins full of Oreos .... damn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk