Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-30-2024, 12:03 PM

OT: “The Posture Pandemic.”

Just read an interesting interview with the author of “Slouch: Posture Panic in Modern America.” Although I haven’t read the book (I plan to) I read the full transcript of the interview here: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/26/s...e-science.html

Her basic premise is that posture as an indicator of health is largely overrated. The author goes further, ascribing some politicized reasons behind judging “poor” posture; namely, that it’s similar to the “phrenology” movements of the early 20th Century. (This was the debunked racially motivated theory that skull size correlated to intellect)

“In some ways, it’s the phrenology of the 20th century. We use posture to judge character, intelligence and physical ability. Like, if you’re a slouch, that also means that you’re somehow lazy.

It’s shallow and ableist to estimate what another person can or cannot do based on their posture. In terms of long-term health, I think the jury is still out on that.”

I disagree with the author’s premise. I think poor posture is a huge problem, particularly for people who work in an office environment and for the generation of younger adults who are wedded to their mobile devices. Many people are thrust forward all day long, causing their entire posterior chains (lats, traps, hip flexors, glutes, hamstrings, etc) to become shortened and tight. Injuries are much more likely with tight muscles.

Cycling is a fantastic sport with many health benefits. But it also mimics the work environment many of us are in for extended periods of time (seated and thrust forward). The best antidotes to that are trying to minimize sitting time as much as possible, adjusting the location of mobile devices, lengthening and stretching muscles (with yoga for example) and, yes, paying attention to your posture.