Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2023, 12:38 PM

Rob... you're making me want to dig out old pictures of my CAAD9 haha. Last of the USA series CAAD bikes!
Old 09-01-2023, 01:17 PM
aluminati

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
These classic framesets have been out of stock for a while now, are you guys seeing them for sale somewhere now?
all i've been seeing past couple months is ebay grifters / flippers and the very occasional full build on FB
Old 11-09-2023, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
That's considered retro now? Gah.
Viper Red with yellow quadwrap decals first appeared on the 1999 frames I think. I guess it depends on how you define retro, but I remember when anything 25 years old was considered antique.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:29 AM

I unexpectedly found a 60cm CAAD13 frameset last year in the red colorway. I'm a big dude and this frame is more than stiff enough. Aluminium has really come a long way. I find the frame as comfortable as my steel bikes on longer ridem which was a plesant surprise. Although I'm riding 28mm tires on Velocity Dyad rims, the tires are measuring 30mm. The clearance is very good. I really couldn't be happier.

Here's a link to the pic:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...=fanboy&page=7

Last edited by edward12; 11-09-2023 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward12 View Post
I unexpectedly found a 60cm CAAD13 frameset last year in the red colorway. I'm a big dude and this frame is more than stiff enough. Aluminium has really come a long way. I find the frame as comfortable as my steel bikes on longer ridem which was a plesant surprise. Although I'm riding 28mm tires on Velocity Dyad rims, the tires are measuring 30mm. The clearance is very good. I really couldn't be happier.
Rim brake or disc?
Old 11-09-2023, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Rim brake or disc?
Rim.
Old 11-09-2023, 11:50 AM

What are folks generally seeing for reasonable builds of the rim brake bikes. My other bike right now is a fairlight strael so I think I might get my weenie on a little bit with this build...within reason though since I'm repurposing an R7000 groupset for it (likely with ultegra cranks).

Quote:
Rim.
How much clearance do you have on either side of the tire right now?
Old 11-09-2023, 05:24 PM

Quote:
What are folks generally seeing for reasonable builds of the rim brake bikes. My other bike right now is a fairlight strael so I think I might get my weenie on a little bit with this build...within reason though since I'm repurposing an R7000 groupset for it (likely with ultegra cranks).

How much clearance do you have on either side of the tire right now?
The direct mount brake-arms are the limiting factor. I would say I have 4-5mm of clearance on either side of the tires (front and rear).
Old 11-09-2023, 05:28 PM

Quote:
The direct mount brake-arms are the limiting factor. I would say I have 4-5mm of clearance on either side of the tires (front and rear).

Hm. I wonder if there are lower profile calipers that can increase the clearance a smidge!
Old 12-06-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Would you mind taking a picture of how you have things currently setup as well as the width of your rims?

I tried putting specialized roubaix 30/32 on my bike, which I now realize are stated 32 width and 30 height and there really wasn't any clearance for them. There may have been a hair of clearance if the rims were completely true.

Looking at the 28's I have on right now... there's definitely room for 30's. I need to get a set of calipers to start measuring some of this stuff. Time to go to harbor freight.

Ugh. I would have loved to have the spec tires fit. Anyone have any suggestions for 28's or 30's that run at about a 30 size?
Old 12-06-2023, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Would you mind taking a picture of how you have things currently setup as well as the width of your rims?

I tried putting specialized roubaix 30/32 on my bike, which I now realize are stated 32 width and 30 height and there really wasn't any clearance for them. There may have been a hair of clearance if the rims were completely true.

Looking at the 28's I have on right now... there's definitely room for 30's. I need to get a set of calipers to start measuring some of this stuff. Time to go to harbor freight.

Ugh. I would have loved to have the spec tires fit. Anyone have any suggestions for 28's or 30's that run at about a 30 size?
Panaracer Agilist run pretty true to size.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2023, 02:29 PM

Just did my first long ride on the 13 and I'm honestly very very pleasantly surprised. I'd forgotten how nice it was to put some power down on a race bike. The only thing is that now I kinda regret not buying the 105 disc version I saw pop up used on ebay a few months ago 😅😅😅

Though to be honest, I'm pretty happy with this. I don't feel beat up after a 60 mile ride with one coffee stop...and this fit is very aggressive for me because the PO cut way more off the steerer than he should have.

Old 08-23-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
I’m contemplating “upgrading” my Caad10 with a new Caad13 frame (if I can find one).
Love the retro paint. But more importantly, 2 features I want are:
- Tire clearance. Cannondale says 28mm(rim brake), which is better than 25mm on the Caad10.
- Fender mounts.

The only thing I don’t like is that dropped seat stay.

Anyone have one of these? I’d guess not much different than my Caad10, as far as handling or ride quality goes.
No go. No matter how great it rides. Looks like it got hit with the Ugly Stick.

Last edited by XXtwindad; 08-23-2022 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-23-2022, 03:06 PM

You could always go with a CAAD12 instead...

Secondhand on the used market, of course, but there's a good supply of them out there.
Old 08-23-2022, 10:25 PM

Cool paint scheme--retro for sure!

Love the CAAD frames. I'd pull trigger in a blink on a pristine CAAD9 if someone had one in my size. Genuinely regret selling mine a few years back....duh...

Tags
cult of caad