Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2022, 02:35 PM

Im in the same camp that marvels that a Saeco color scheme is "retro" now -- then i start counting the years between 1996 and now

-- yep -- old enough to qualify as retro
Old 08-25-2022, 03:52 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunder View Post
I finished PBP on a CAAD 10 with SKS RaceBlade Longs and a 23/25 GP4000. So that's one option that will work if you need fenders. The PDW ones may be better but no experience. Critically the RaceBlade ones don't have the actual fender go through the brake bridge or fork so it has less impact on tire clearance than some other options.
How do they perform compared to full length fenders? Good enough?
Congrats on the PBP. On my bucket list for sure.
Old 08-25-2022, 03:56 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
I love how that CAAD13 looks...BUT...I wouldn't ditch a CAAD10 for a 13. I think you'll either end up exactly where you started, or a little behind. I'm on a CAAD12 with 30's...I don't like the 30's. I think 28's would be max before they start to rob the bike of that "CAAD" feel (for reference 58cm, 6'-3", 210lbs+). My vote, find a used Supersix hi-mod and spend $600 on a retro paint job. Don't let go of that CAAD10!

*I do love that retro paint job though. The first Cannondale I ever rode was one of the pepto-pink CAAD 6's. It was electric!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
I love my CAAD 10, I have a new BMC carbon bike, but I still ride my CAAD 10 from time to time, in fact I just raced it last night, and in all honesty I can't say that the new BMC feels any faster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
I’m in the same boat. The CAAD9 was literally the nexus of looks, ride quality and price point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Ditto. I love that damn bike.

When I went from team sponsored rider to having to pay for my own bikes the CAAD10 was the first bike I bought and I was like "wait......this thing rides just as well as the BH ultralight I just had to give up".

They definitely got it RIGHT with the CAAD10
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
The CAAD 10 will always have a special place in the pantheon for me. The first bike (along with the Merckx EX) that really got me into cycling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
I bought my CAAD10 through the Paceline classifieds. I built it up over the winter while recovering from shoulder surgery. Come spring, I only had a few rides on it before my first race. My initial impressions were somewhat mixed, neither loving nor disliking it. Then I rode my first race with it. It was like a thoroughbred that was allowed to run on the track. It felt like it was in its element, at home when ridden fast and hard. Definitely a great bang-for-the-buck race bike!

Greg
Isn’t it against forum policy to dissuade a member from getting a new bike??

Old 08-25-2022, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Isn’t it against forum policy to dissuade a member from getting a new bike??

Does anyone here actually buy new bikes? I thought we all just sell the same ones over and over to different members!
Old 08-26-2022, 12:06 PM
aluminati

So does anyone onhere have a 13 and can compare ride quality to older models?
Old 08-26-2022, 01:02 PM

Someone mentioned that Cannondale seems to have changed their philosophy and I agree that it is disappointing. Cannondale bikes were cool because they were extreme - I posted elsewhere about wanting a new "original" System Six (the old one with the huge tube). Their bikes are not as unique as they used to be, and when I built my latest, I considered the new System and Evo, but ultimately the compromises turned me away.
Old 08-26-2022, 05:01 PM

The original System Six was a banger frame set. Great quick geometry, super stiff, and came in some great paint schemes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2023, 09:22 AM

Anyone with more real world CAAD13 feedback?

Tire clearance on rim/disc versions? Ride quality? Thoughts now that you've lived with the bike for a minute?
Old 09-01-2023, 09:41 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

The Limited Edition Glacier Blue is even more retro looking. Hearkening 2.8/3.0 bikes/frames. Not that I don't dig the Saeco vibe. I had a Rev X clad CAAD3, and later a CAAD 5? with the Si fork.

But more than that, I dig we are fan-boying rim brakes steeds.

Last edited by robt57; 09-01-2023 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-01-2023, 09:56 AM

oof that's pretty. reminds me of the Cinelli Laser.
Old 09-01-2023, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
The Limited Edition Glacier Blue is even more retro looking. Hearkening 2.8/3.0 bikes/frames. Not that I don't dig the Saeco vibe. I had a Rev X clad CAAD3, and later a CAAD 5? with the Si fork.

But more than that, I dig we are fan-boying rim brakes steeds.
This paint scheme on a CAAD 12 and older gen CAAD, would be *chef's kiss*

On the 13, it helps a little, but not enough. I agree with the others, the geometry change on the 13 was for the worse, and took away the magic of the CAAD series up to that point.
Old 09-01-2023, 10:00 AM

I almost bought a blue one but I just couldn't get on with the direct mount brakes. If it was normal mount I would have done it. Really chaps my hide.
Old 09-01-2023, 10:22 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Oddly, the C13 geom on the 58 makes it a fit for me. I've had to compromise on 60s when I could not find a 59 in my CAAD road life. 59s only framesets when I was CAADing.

I have direct mount on my English and more recently Race Shop Domane SLR. I find their strong suite is stopping. The castings for the posts in most calipers are the pinch points and no 'big tire' benefit VS single mounts. Maybe if you ran narrow rims and big tires the light bulb effect might benefit space. Whos gunna do that? Lots of space over the top, fender fit benefit?

All moot for me beyond appreciating [lusting] them, yum. I have a 2008 EP Nago that negates any need for a CAAD. It is old, but as good as it gets IMO.

Still, major kudos on the rim brakes Cannondale!!

Last edited by robt57; 09-01-2023 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-01-2023, 10:48 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

That is sexy enough for me to over look the drop seat stay design.

OK, this thread has made me do this. Back when retro handlebars were the norm too! Top a 59CM, the CAAD3 a 60CM.

And from before turn of the century:

Last edited by robt57; 09-01-2023 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-01-2023, 12:06 PM

These classic framesets have been out of stock for a while now, are you guys seeing them for sale somewhere now?

Tags
cult of caad