Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-01-2024, 10:50 PM

Some pics from a few recent rides. We just moved to Colorado Springs 4 weeks ago, so every ride has been like paradise.

Old 05-02-2024, 12:03 AM
Retired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I'm in West Los Angeles. Since you are good about sharing videos of your rides, I thought I'd provide a video with a flavor of what CA gravel can be like. This was up in Marin but there's plenty of this down here too. Let me know if you're unable to access the clip.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16i5...ew?usp=sharing

(Edit: sorry, neglected to change the access permissions to 'anyone with the link' -- should be viewable now.)
Oh, man! That's not gravel! Thems be rocks! I don't think I'd be a gravel cyclist if that's what I had to ride. That seems much more like mountain biking than gravel riding. How far is a typical gravel ride for you?

The worst we see here is maybe 2" chunks of gravel that in time will be absorbed into the road's limestone surface and make for a fairly smooth ride.

I lived in San Diego in the mid to late '70s. It's where I fell in love with road riding on my 1976 Eisentraut Limited that I bought from a guy in the city who was getting married and needed cash.

Kevin g
Old 05-02-2024, 12:49 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by onekgguy View Post
Oh, man! That's not gravel! Thems be rocks! I don't think I'd be a gravel cyclist if that's what I had to ride. That seems much more like mountain biking than gravel riding. How far is a typical gravel ride for you?

The worst we see here is maybe 2" chunks of gravel that in time will be absorbed into the road's limestone surface and make for a fairly smooth ride.

I lived in San Diego in the mid to late '70s. It's where I fell in love with road riding on my 1976 Eisentraut Limited that I bought from a guy in the city who was getting married and needed cash.

Kevin g
Well, that was intended as an exaggeration. At the end of that section I was definitely of the "this is not fun" mindset, but there were many great pieces to compensate.

Length really depends. There are shorter loops like this, 22 miles and 2400', about 40% of which is dirt. I can extend it to this, 39 miles and 5k', flipping the dirt/road split. Or if you want to go crazy, here's a local segment that covers nearly 60 miles and 10k'. There are portions of that route that are definitely as bad as what you saw in my video.

My serious riding also started in the 70s when I was a student in Santa Cruz, first on a too-big Masi then on the Gios that I still own. It's still one of my favorite places to ride, though I'm amazed that I was able to do those climbs with a low gear of 42/21.
Old 05-02-2024, 01:13 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
Some pics from a few recent rides. We just moved to Colorado Springs 4 weeks ago, so every ride has been like paradise
did you get the required training?
https://youtu.be/8gBoxdOd264?si=1K8pM1GvbfikrNuZ

great pics!!
Old 05-02-2024, 06:37 PM

Put some fat n nimble 3.5" tires on the Beargrease today and hit some singletrack! It was a blast!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2024, 08:41 PM
Retired!

Quote:
Well, that was intended as an exaggeration. At the end of that section I was definitely of the "this is not fun" mindset, but there were many great pieces to compensate.

Length really depends. There are shorter loops like this, 22 miles and 2400', about 40% of which is dirt. I can extend it to this, 39 miles and 5k', flipping the dirt/road split. Or if you want to go crazy, here's a local segment that covers nearly 60 miles and 10k'. There are portions of that route that are definitely as bad as what you saw in my video.

My serious riding also started in the 70s when I was a student in Santa Cruz, first on a too-big Masi then on the Gios that I still own. It's still one of my favorite places to ride, though I'm amazed that I was able to do those climbs with a low gear of 42/21.
The Skinny Camel route looks like a real test. I would love to give it a go. The other routes look nice as well. Is there much vehicle traffic on those roads? Our gravel roads get some light traffic but it's not much. They're a treat from the constant drone of cars on some of our busier highways. We'll get the occasional farm dog that will give chase to us but that's usually all in good fun.

Kevin g
Old 05-03-2024, 11:46 AM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by onekgguy View Post
Is there much vehicle traffic on those roads?
Essentially zero. Once in a great while there could be a maintenance vehicle on one of the fire roads but all of the roads in those routes are exclusively for hikers and cyclists.
Old 05-03-2024, 01:31 PM

It's very green!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240503_142643_Gallery.jpg (145.7 KB, 193 views)
Old 05-03-2024, 03:05 PM
Retired!

Quote:
Essentially zero. Once in a great while there could be a maintenance vehicle on one of the fire roads but all of the roads in those routes are exclusively for hikers and cyclists.
It looks like paradise for my gravel or MTB.

Kevin g
Old 05-03-2024, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
did you get the required training?
https://youtu.be/8gBoxdOd264?si=1K8pM1GvbfikrNuZ

great pics!!
"This isn't Kentucky" LOLOLOLOLLL...

Chapstick(s), accurate
IPAs, accurate
Sunscreen, accurate
The Springs, accurate
Color-a-do, accurate
Old 05-03-2024, 05:16 PM

tried some newly mounted gravelkings out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6247.jpg (111.8 KB, 181 views)
Old 05-03-2024, 08:15 PM
Post Mod-ern

This past Wednesday . . .

. . . Wednesday I joined friends Dan and Tim on a fantastic 26-mile spring gravel ride in this incredibly beautiful and sparsely used area north of Stratford, NY on the south side of the Adirondacks. Its beauty was a reminder of what a treasure we as New Yorkers have in the Adirondack Park. The gates at either end of Piseco-Powley Road were still closed, so we had the road all to ourselves and the ability to ride as we pleased, taking in the expansive views available at this 1900-foot altitude where the trees were still bare and the only spring flowers blooming yet were the small yellow Coltsfoot along the road. With stops to talk, enjoy the scenery, and explore one short backwoods side road to the Watauga Club gate, we spent almost five hours to go 26 miles. But it was time well spent to get outdoors in the mid-50’s to mid-60’s temps and under skies that started out overcast, but ended up sun-drenched by the time we finished at 3pm. A great day! (Photos with Panasonic Lumix ZS200D and selfies with iPhone 13 Pro.)

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 05-03-2024, 08:18 PM
Post Mod-ern

Today was a . . .

. . . great Mohawk Hudson Cycling Club ride (led by me) on opening day at The Hub in Brant Lake, NY. We rode the four lakes tour, a 43-mile loop that winds around four different beautiful lakes in this part of the southern Adirondacks. We had nine riders total, and the weather was just about perfect with temps in the mid 60’s and the empty roads you find in this area on a weekday before the official summer season opens. Actually, my own tour was only three lakes, since I took a short cut more appropriate to my (lack of) fitness at this early part of the season. But the other folks knew where they were going in this are that most know intimately, so no problem. After the ride, we all enjoyed a beer and some conversation back at The Hub, which is a combination tavern, restaurant, bike shop, and live music venue on the shores of the lower pool of Brant Lake. A great day! (Photos shot with Panasonic Lumix ZS200D and iPhone 13 Pro.)

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 05-03-2024, 09:07 PM

Mt Hamilton on a TGI fRideDay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1000025689-01.jpg (70.2 KB, 149 views)
Old 05-04-2024, 04:14 PM
hoolered

huevos con aceite