Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2024, 08:10 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
EVs are interesting...so are their drivers

https://nypost.com/2024/05/05/us-new...n-tony-island/

Classic tesla user
Ah, a rich entitled Ct. Resident. I am familiar with the species. Still haven't seen one of those things, though.

His other car is a Mercedes AMG G 63, no doubt. Or a tricked out Range Rover.

Last edited by Mr. Pink; 05-06-2024 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-06-2024, 08:17 AM

Putting my money where my mind is. Have an EV6 light arriving sometime in the summer. I think I’m done with ICE vehicles, but let’s see what transpires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2024, 08:36 AM

Looked a Tesla but need more range and didn't like being forced to stop for longer than I would like. Just need a shift in my thinking...
Old 05-06-2024, 08:51 AM

Quote:

Classic tesla user
Saw my first Cybertruck Saturday on our only slightly less tony Island
It be ugly
Old 05-06-2024, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Went into NYC to see a Broadway show yesterday. Parked at an underground parking lot, and saw a row of EVs plugged in.

I wonder if there are any current regulations on the number and type of chargers that can be placed in the basement floors of Manhattan high rises? It sure would be a huge disaster if there was an EV fire down there.
Old 05-06-2024, 08:57 AM

Quote:

Classic tesla user
I think we can all agree that the New York Post is a good source for reliable reporting of social behavior, and this portrait of Tesla drivers is pretty accurate. Their findings are supported by the National Enquirer, which independently concluded that the majority of Tesla owners are 2-headed, human-alien hybrids that flagrantly ignore the rules for entering and exiting traffic circles.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:03 AM
quadropheniac

None of this happens without government subsidies, right? So whether or not you support EV's and renewable energy, you're footing the bill. An example of a subsidy (that's paying part of my salary so not complaining, just stating the facts) involving the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022, which I bet many here aren't aware of.

We are involved with the incorporation of PV panel (solar) systems on two buildings, in two different geographic locations, where one site (Cook County, IL) is eligible for a 30% rebate and one site (Ventura County, CA) stretched the rebate to 40%, because the site zip code indicates that it is in an energy community as defined by the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA). When you read the definition of an energy community, it will make you pause.

Both systems are designed around 250kW output, with the CA location being about 35% more efficient of course, because of its peak sun hours. The rebate for the Cook County site is $225,000 on a system cost of $750,000 and the Ventura County site rebate is a whopping $300,000.

We could receive another 10% bonus if 50% or more of the materials were manufactured in the US, but over 75% of the world's commercial bifacial PV panels, currently come from China, an environmentally sensitive country for sure. So the rebates offered by the IRA; a decent percentage supports the manufacturing of PV panels in China.

https://energycommunities.gov/fundin...s-code-¤-48c/

https://arcgis.netl.doe.gov/portal/a...01bd0e08495e1d
Old 05-06-2024, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
I think we can all agree that the New York Post is a good source for reliable reporting of social behavior, and this portrait of Tesla drivers is pretty accurate. Their findings are supported by the National Enquirer, which independently concluded that the majority of Tesla owners are 2-headed, human-alien hybrids that flagrantly ignore the rules for entering and exiting traffic circles.
Tesla drivers are the BMW drivers of the EV world.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm714 View Post
Tesla drivers are the BMW drivers of the EV world.
Really? Do you know all the Tesla drivers?
Old 05-06-2024, 09:45 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post

Well, that was low hanging fruit. Parking in a crosswalk and getting stuck on the beach, with pictures. Next, taking up two handicapped spots.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijichf View Post
None of this happens without government subsidies, right? So whether or not you support EV's and renewable energy, you're footing the bill. An example of a subsidy (that's paying part of my salary so not complaining, just stating the facts) involving the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022, which I bet many here aren't aware of.

We are involved with the incorporation of PV panel (solar) systems on two buildings, in two different geographic locations, where one site (Cook County, IL) is eligible for a 30% rebate and one site (Ventura County, CA) stretched the rebate to 40%, because the site zip code indicates that it is in an energy community as defined by the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA). When you read the definition of an energy community, it will make you pause.

Both systems are designed around 250kW output, with the CA location being about 35% more efficient of course, because of its peak sun hours. The rebate for the Cook County site is $225,000 on a system cost of $750,000 and the Ventura County site rebate is a whopping $300,000.

We could receive another 10% bonus if 50% or more of the materials were manufactured in the US, but over 75% of the world's commercial bifacial PV panels, currently come from China, an environmentally sensitive country for sure. So the rebates offered by the IRA; a decent percentage supports the manufacturing of PV panels in China.

Meanwhile of course no one really bothers to talk much about the annual $20 billion in subsidies we still give to the fossil fuel industry.

We'll need a couple hundred years of EV, Solar, Wind, etc.. subsidies at the current rate to ever catch up to what we gifted fossil fuel companies.

All these comparisons even, they ignore we're all subsidising the cost of gas, cost of natural gas to heat your house, etc..
Old 05-06-2024, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijichf View Post

That brings to mind the recipe for making solar energy - you mix sunshine with copious amounts of other people's money.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000m2 View Post
Updated the link, sorry about that.
"Tesla is opening its supercharging network to all electric vehicles in California."
Apparently that article was incorrect. From Politico today: "Gov. Gavin Newsom over the weekend touted Tesla’s February agreement to open its superchargers nationally to Ford and Rivian (not “all electric vehicles,” as the San Francisco Chronicle and KTVU reported), dropping a video Saturday on X of himself driving a Ford Mustang Mach-E to a Tesla station."
Old 05-06-2024, 10:20 AM

I think Supercharger is gradually becoming available to more cars.

But not initially cause each manufacturer has to negotiate and/or do some work to enable the whole thing.

Newsom is driving the Mach E cause Ford was one of the first to get everything done:

- Negotiate
- Update all the billing software to make it work when you plug in at a Supercharger
- Actually shipped adapters to owners
- Converting new cars to have the NACS plug so no adapter is needed.

IIRC almost every car company in NA has agreed to do the switch but it doesn't happen instantly.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Meanwhile of course no one really bothers to talk much about the annual $20 billion in subsidies we still give to the fossil fuel industry.
Or the health costs created by fossil fuel pollution. Those are hidden, except for those suffering, so they don't get factored into the equation.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy