Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2024, 04:31 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

Assuming the post is the correct size, you can also look at the seat collar. Some of them aren’t that good.
Old 05-06-2024, 07:54 AM

Yep I need to get a new one of those, my favorite are Campy. Gotta see if they make in that size. The OEM aluminum collar was Cannondale and I snapped the bolt head. How far outta spec I dunno. Used rotchey torque key which goes I think to 5.5, then i did a slight addtl turn with allen wrench. Then…pop went the allen head.

The collar i ended up using is carbon fiber of all things, had one in the parts bin. Forget the brand. Torqued to about 6.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
Assuming the post is the correct size, you can also look at the seat collar. Some of them aren’t that good.
Old 05-06-2024, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
I know I'm late to the dance, but what is it with everyone's knee jerk response to seek out the junk from Amazon?! It's also killing the economy.

If I had a nickel for every time someone responded to me with "I got it on Amazon", after one week I'd be able to afford a full Campy Richard Sachs!

Get a seatpost adapter with class.

I own a bike with a Cane Creek adapter and I approve this message.
I wouldn't think Cane Creek would be able to offer a USA made seatpost shim for $11. That's a good deal.
Old 05-06-2024, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
I wouldn't think Cane Creek would be able to offer a USA made seatpost shim for $11. That's a good deal.
Do they say these are made in USA?

I was always under the impression Cane Creek made everything in the USA, but learned that most of what they sell is imported.
Old 05-06-2024, 08:43 AM

Funny thing is the Amazon shim looks identical to CC shim, down to the machined texture on the cylinder and laser engraving (font).

As for comment on killing the economy, CC somehow finds it ok to offshore manufacturing and resell parts stateside with value add of a warranty (where applicable) and a logo. Perhaps take it up with them? Not solving that here….

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth View Post

I was always under the impression Cane Creek made everything in the USA, but learned that most of what they sell is imported.

Last edited by 54ny77; 05-06-2024 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-06-2024, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
got it good n' tight now with 2 separate seltzer can slices about 1" wide x 2" tall. one in front of post, one in rear, w/copius amounts of carbon paste. positioned both to end up flush right near the top edge of seat tube.

worked it in super slowly with 1/8" back and forth and downward pressure. quite the workout....

thanks for all the tips!
How dare you recycle things and kill the economy!!
Old 05-06-2024, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth View Post

truth speaks the truth.
Old 05-06-2024, 04:09 PM

I had a really wonky seatpost situation before and used one of the "double" clamps that has an extra clamping ring above the seatpost collar to clamp onto the actual seatpost. Looks chunky but works great.
Old 05-06-2024, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
And... they don't have anything too close to what was asked for.
Yeah, you're right. I brain farted and was thinking reducing down to a 27.2.
Old 05-06-2024, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
Have you measured your post to actually be 31.6, or the seat tube? If both of those are within spec, is the clamp bottoming out when tightened? Any grease on the clamp itself, as well as the bolt? mage miniatures

You can have someone knurl an aluminum japanese knives post if they have a tool to do so, that will take up some of a loose fit and add grip, or the coke can shim. Anything more than a couple tenths of a mm would likely be too much if everything is pretty close to spec.
You're diving into some detailed troubleshooting there!

Last edited by kanjielee123; 05-09-2024 at 01:18 AM.