View Single Post
Old 04-19-2024, 11:15 AM

Tough fast rolling tires

Disappointed with: Gatorskins/anything Conti. I found Gatorskins very slippy in the wet stuff, and have found Contis in general very tough to put on/take off (to the point that I really hoped + prayed nothing would go wrong if out in the sticks).

Encouraged by: Michelin Pro4 “Endurance”. These run BIG. The 28c tires do balloon out. And despite the absence of tread (these are slick), they are great in the wet stuff. It’s on the bike that I reach for when I *have* to ride in rain. And they are pretty lively in terms of road feel.

Also a winner: Pirellis. I am running the “race” version in 26c and these are fast, true to size, and pretty tough on some of the crummy roads I ride here in northern Baltimore and surrounding areas.

Both Michelin and Pirellis are also very easy to put on/take off.

Another vote for the Panaracer slicks by the way. I have these on a few bikes. Last week on an exploration ride in central PA I wondered way off course and found myself on a true dirt road and these did admirably well. Not as easy to put on/take off than Michelin and Pirellis though.