View Single Post
Old 05-01-2024, 11:10 AM

I waxed eight chains yesterday

Three were new 11s XX1 SRAM chains, which I've had great durability from on my MTB and were on sale at Planet Cyclery's GOOB sale. The other five were on the five bikes I ride the most.

The KMC chain on the Bingham is the original chain I started with on the Strong. It has over 7,000 miles on it and has always been waxed. I hung it and still can hardly measure wear on that chain, at most it's 1/16th inch in over 3 feet of chain. I wanted fresh wax on the Supersix chain even though it has 500 miles, since I'm taking it on my VA trip soon, so I just decided to pull the chains off the Habanero, Litespeed, and Bob Jackson also. All of these chains are well below the 0.5% wear limit measured with the Park Tool and the Pedro's chain checkers.

I used the Silca Stripper solution on the new chains, and boiling water on the old chains (and the new ones after the Stripper) and then dried them in the toaster oven. Then one at a time into the crockpot with the Silca wax. As much as possible, I wiped them down quickly and put them back on the bike and gave each chain a good spin to make sure they weren't sticky from the wax. The new chains, which were going back into the drawer, got worked over a pipe when they'd cooled to loosen them up.

As others have said, what's most noticeable is how clean the chainrings, cassette cogs, and especially the jockey wheels are from using wax. No crud. Even though this wax session took some time, I'd rather do this type of maintenance than what I used to do, cleaning all the drivetrain bits. YMMV (your maintenance may vary).

Last edited by NHAero; 05-01-2024 at 02:41 PM.