Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoker View Post
That Time video is impressive.
No reason to call such a carbon frame as coming from a waffle iron.
Has always been the frame I wanted.
The Boyd rims being woven directly onto the mandrel looks like a combo of the Time “sock” process along with the direct weaving tech that Lexus did with their LFA supercar back in the day. Obviously the Lexus was more sophisticated, but if I remember correctly the R&D of that car was something astronomical

https://shop.timebicycles.com/pages/technology-bcs
https://youtu.be/kttvDaUIWCs?si=-E8cYg2vqgbrJRw8

https://youtu.be/l4DLr8qHliI?si=Oty0LOVTKM8Obk0z

Super excited for these being produced and sold by Boyd.

Last edited by yinzerniner; 04-28-2024 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-28-2024, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
Okay but why are you ignoring the whole custom loom part of it?
Because it has been done before… On my sailboat masks and on my wheels that were Made by falcon.

The combination of the different text as I noted of the fiber tech and the Lost wax tech is the key. But again this is been tried and true in a number of industries already it is not brand new.
Old 04-28-2024, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
Because it has been done before… On my sailboat masks and on my wheels that were Made by falcon.

The combination of the different text as I noted of the fiber tech and the Lost wax tech is the key. But again this is been tried and true in a number of industries already it is not brand new.
Okay but Munich Composites (the company Boyd is acquiring) developed this tech and manufactured rims by 2013, which predates Falcon even existing as a company. So how exactly are they "late to the game"?

https://www.munichcomposites.com/about-us

I realize you might have some affinity for Falcon given the Quebec ties, but they aren't the innovators on this one, sorry.

Last edited by rice rocket; 04-28-2024 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-28-2024, 01:12 PM

I only used the guys at Falcon because I wanted to support some kids who had started up a business rather than using anyone of the other fabricator/ manufacturers around the world doing this tech or any other kids starting up a business in manufacturing in any other of the three countries that I live in.

I first remember using an interesting custom weave with the wax method (as opposed to the previously used balloon that was pressurized) on a boat that we sailed in the Transpac race in the late 90’s. That had various components done this way. Spreaders, the boom, the wheel. Interestingly, the boom was a weave of kevlar and carbon and also interestingly the boat was constructed in Germany by Thyssen. It was engineered/ designed probably in 92 or 3. Another fabricator doing this tech was American when I had a manufacturer in the late 80s in Tennessee (memory says Kingsport) build a 20 foot tender. The hull and decks were flat kevlar mat but the stringers were carbon woven in a simple weave on the machine for the engineered needs individually (since each one was different for engineering reasons) and then the wax method.

As Nic said, it really doesn’t matter who was first. The point is the tech works and has worked in many applications for many years. Boyd will surely make fabulous wheels just like the predecessor company did.

I am done with this convo. I just got off an 80 mile glorious ride on the Spectrum (which has, horrors, Enve wheels). I suggest you step away from the keyboard and get outside and enjoy life on a cycle.

Last edited by htwoopup; 04-28-2024 at 01:39 PM. Reason: More words hopefully to be clearer