Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2024, 09:38 AM
n - 1

OT: Electric lawn equipment

I’ve been using all electric Ryobi lawn maintenance tools for 8-9 years now. Mower, trimmer, blower, chainsaw. They’ve been working great. But they are showing age now. Little things falling apart or breaking (ie Height adjustment on the lawnmower). And most importantly, the batteries are failing one by one. I’m down to 2. One in ok shape and one that may go anytime.

I’m inclined to just replace them all with Ryobi again. But wondering from those that may have also used other brands (ie Ego), if I should get something else. If so, this would be the time to do it, as batteries aren’t cheap. A 40v battery costs $179. Strangely, a trimmer with battery costs $159.

My only complaints with Ryobi. Some tools seem really flimsy. And customer service isn’t the best.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:43 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Ego is the standard for mowers at least, I'm waiting for Milwaukee to catch up there after their first and only release in the space.

I'm a big fan of the Milwaukee Fuel Quick-Lok line for trimmer, edger, hedge trimmer, etc. They even released a blower attachment but I already have the standalone blower.

Overall, the battery platform you have should be able to apply to the newer Ryobi tools that came out which might be a bit higher quality.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:53 AM
Administrator

I have always thought of Ryobi as the low budget, entry level option.

All of their powertools are significantly cheaper than their competitors, and feel in hand cheaply made. I'm sure they are acceptable for occasional homeowner use, but I think better options exist.

I still have a gas mower, as i dont think my Honda mower will ever die, but the rest of my lawn tools are EGO. Chainsaw is a little champ, string trimmer, blower, etc. No complaints.

The stuff seems to get better every year. If my gas mower ever dies, I will get an EGO mower, but waiting is to my advantage, as the tech just keeps getting better.

Now, snowblower? I don't know if battery is near up to the task of my big gas machine. Maybe someday, but I dont think they are there yet.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:58 AM

I wish Ridgid had more skin in the game. My step dad had this Ridgid shop vac for about 20 years and a few months ago, the motor died on him. Figured out it has a lifetime warranty, and they sent a brand new (current model) same size/capacity/hp shop vac. Didnt ask us to send the old one back or anything. Looks like they have the same warranty for their cordless tools as well...
Old 05-02-2024, 10:01 AM

I've been all-electric for lawn equipment for most of a decade. Started with Ryobi, went to Echo, and just bought my first Ego mower this week (replacing the old Echo model).

So far I'm impressed. Mower is a huge step up in power and runtime. Customer support has been good, and the line of compatible tools is incredibly broad.

I think at this point Ego is showing as the most committed to this space and you'd have to have a pretty good reason to choose another brand.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:41 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Ego is the standard for mowers at least, I'm waiting for Milwaukee to catch up there after their first and only release in the space.

I'm a big fan of the Milwaukee Fuel Quick-Lok line for trimmer, edger, hedge trimmer, etc. They even released a blower attachment but I already have the standalone blower.

Overall, the battery platform you have should be able to apply to the newer Ryobi tools that came out which might be a bit higher quality.
I love my Milwaukee tools. It’d be great if I could use batteries for lawn and home mechanic tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelreformist View Post
I've been all-electric for lawn equipment for most of a decade. Started with Ryobi, went to Echo, and just bought my first Ego mower this week (replacing the old Echo model).

So far I'm impressed. Mower is a huge step up in power and runtime. Customer support has been good, and the line of compatible tools is incredibly broad.

I think at this point Ego is showing as the most committed to this space and you'd have to have a pretty good reason to choose another brand.
Power (or lack of) of the mower has been a complaint. If I miss a week, it’s a struggle.
I may have to start looking at the Ego line up. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:50 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
I love my Milwaukee tools. It’d be great if I could use batteries for lawn and home mechanic tools.
Yeah the reviews on the Milwaukee mower are strong, but due to the sheer amount of tools Milwaukee makes, their focus isn't just on outdoor yard equipment like Ego.

The Ego mower lineup is ahead of Milwaukee's current single offering, and might be worth it for the single tool unless you have a larger goal of sticking to 1 platform.

I'm waiting on a Milwaukee mower v2 before I make the jump and leave our trusty 21" Troy-Bilt gasser behind.

Here's some helpful video reviews across all brands.

Mowers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txzi-SQylZ4

Trimmers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3ZCMcaAOVM

Blowers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqKYiMNvvUg&t=1040s
Old 05-02-2024, 10:59 AM

I was gifted the Ego hedge trimmer and from the start it was over matched for the ornamental grass that gets chopped in the fall. It would clog and then stop every attempt at cutting. Then the battery died. I bought a Stihl gas one last fall and it rips through the grass is seconds.

I also have the mower. I bought that because we had a baby at the time and I wanted to be able to cut the grass after she went to bed quietly. I am sure my neighbors thought I was a lunatic cutting the grass in the dark with a bike headlight strapped the handle of the mower. That really worked well until this past season when I replaced the single blade with a mulching system that has two blades. This was an official Ego blade system. Well battery life is now less that 20 mins on a full charge. I am not sure if it is due to the added weight of the second blade or just the battery aging. A new batt is about 250 and the mower was bought new for $399 IRC. I will probably go back to gas at the end of this season.

EDIT: I should note the EGO mower was the first gen from 2017. I see that they have new mowers and batteries that probably blow mine away.

Last edited by Hank Scorpio; 05-02-2024 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:07 AM

Happy to have gotten rid of all ICE lawn equipment and will not be looking back. I bought an Ego because of rave reviews from many friends and family and have been happy with it. Probably mow once a month and it works fine for that - I'm not a manicured lawn kinda guy.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:21 AM

Ryobi no bueno, IME....
Old 05-02-2024, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post

Power (or lack of) of the mower has been a complaint. If I miss a week, it’s a struggle.
I may have to start looking at the Ego line up. Thanks for the input.
Did you look to see if someone is making a Miwaukee to Ryobi battery adapter? I see some on Amazon (probably on EvilBay too); don't know what systems you would be combining. Milwaukee 18v blower and string trimmer are decent, and even if you had to replace one (or more) tools to get the large capacity 18v Milwaukees it could be well worth it to keep the mower going until it is really dead.

A Habitat friend is a big DeWalt user, but sometimes buys occasional use Ryobi and uses a battery adapter. I've used them for new to old Milwaukee (again for occasional use tools). Worth a look...

Last edited by paredown; 05-02-2024 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:45 AM

I have a mixed bag, Milwaukee blower, Ryobi 20v trimmer/edger. Gas powered Toro TimeMaster 30in deck. I had a Toro ecycler for years and it was a great little battery mower, so quiet.

If I could start over it would be a full set of Toro battery powered products with a 30in deck eTimeMaster mower.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:47 AM

I have a lot of Ryobi tools myself, but went with the Milwaukee string trimmer several years ago after going nuts dealing with gas trimmers. Take a good look at the Milwaukee, I highly recommend it, it's extremely powerful, rock solid and will probably last forever.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:55 AM

Long time Ego using here. Specifically, the mower side. Big fan.

Just purchased a self-propelled version. Another great decision.

As with many things, the newer tech is a step ahead of what was available 5 years ago. Even though my old Ego mower still does fine. Where it maybe stumbles a bit, is tall wet grass, and is not a good leaf mulcher. The newer one, with more power, and dual blades, does a much better job.

I’m sure my neighbors think half the time, there goes drunk Jeff again cutting his grass in the dark (Ego’s have headlights). Above and beyond freeing up time, there is something serene and peaceful. Oh’, the neighbors, maybe 50/50 on being correct.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:19 PM

Love my yellow trimmer, blower and 12" chain saw.

Wish the yellow mower was better....

I've gone through three or four Honda ICE mulching mowers over the years. I buy one used for $250, run it into the ground, do nothing but replace blades when necessary and buy another one 10-12 years later. Pretty economical this way and they are built like anvils.

Next time my Honda HRM dies I'll probably go electric...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy