Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-09-2023, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
What are folks generally seeing for reasonable builds of the rim brake bikes. My other bike right now is a fairlight strael so I think I might get my weenie on a little bit with this build...within reason though since I'm repurposing an R7000 groupset for it (likely with ultegra cranks).

How much clearance do you have on either side of the tire right now?
The direct mount brake-arms are the limiting factor. I would say I have 4-5mm of clearance on either side of the tires (front and rear).
Old 11-09-2023, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward12 View Post
The direct mount brake-arms are the limiting factor. I would say I have 4-5mm of clearance on either side of the tires (front and rear).

Hm. I wonder if there are lower profile calipers that can increase the clearance a smidge!
Old 11-09-2023, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Ugh... I just bought a rim brake caad13 that seemed too good a deal to pass on especially when the seller said he'd been running measured 32s on it 😁
I'm going to take a wild guess... did the CAAD13 you bought happen to be black, frameset only, on Ebay for a crazy low price (<$500)? If so, I was soooo close to buying that one but apparently wasn't quick enough!
Old 11-10-2023, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoj View Post
I'm going to take a wild guess... did the CAAD13 you bought happen to be black, frameset only, on Ebay for a crazy low price (<$500)? If so, I was soooo close to buying that one but apparently wasn't quick enough!
Picking it up from him when I visit family for Thanksgiving.

I might really have to sell the strael now to get something different!

I'm honestly so stoked. I used to race a caad9 in college and this is likely going to be my last rim brake caad if not my last rim brake bike period in all liklihood.

Last edited by ridethecliche; 11-24-2023 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-24-2023, 03:07 PM

In a bit of hilarity I somehow ended up with two 56cm rim brake caad13s...

I think I'm going to have to put the 105 one up for sale after going through it because this is frankly ridiculous 😅😅😅
Old 11-28-2023, 09:10 PM

Ugh. What's the real world tire clearance folks have seen with the caad13 rim brake?

I just test fit the specialized roubaix 2bliss 30/32 on old narrowish rims in 30/32 and they decidedly do not clear the ultegra calipers. There's great clearance everywhere but right at the spot where the calipers mount, ie at the bolts.

Is there any solution to this it is that it? Not sure if any other brakes are better. It almost looks like the 105 calipers have slightly better clearance but I can't be certain.

My rear wheel is slightly out of true, to the point where it's the worst it's ever been and needs to be addressed but still... This kinda bites.
Old 12-06-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward12 View Post
Would you mind taking a picture of how you have things currently setup as well as the width of your rims?

I tried putting specialized roubaix 30/32 on my bike, which I now realize are stated 32 width and 30 height and there really wasn't any clearance for them. There may have been a hair of clearance if the rims were completely true.

Looking at the 28's I have on right now... there's definitely room for 30's. I need to get a set of calipers to start measuring some of this stuff. Time to go to harbor freight.

Ugh. I would have loved to have the spec tires fit. Anyone have any suggestions for 28's or 30's that run at about a 30 size?
Old 12-06-2023, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Would you mind taking a picture of how you have things currently setup as well as the width of your rims?

I tried putting specialized roubaix 30/32 on my bike, which I now realize are stated 32 width and 30 height and there really wasn't any clearance for them. There may have been a hair of clearance if the rims were completely true.

Looking at the 28's I have on right now... there's definitely room for 30's. I need to get a set of calipers to start measuring some of this stuff. Time to go to harbor freight.

Ugh. I would have loved to have the spec tires fit. Anyone have any suggestions for 28's or 30's that run at about a 30 size?
Panaracer Agilist run pretty true to size.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2023, 02:29 PM

Just did my first long ride on the 13 and I'm honestly very very pleasantly surprised. I'd forgotten how nice it was to put some power down on a race bike. The only thing is that now I kinda regret not buying the 105 disc version I saw pop up used on ebay a few months ago 😅😅😅

Though to be honest, I'm pretty happy with this. I don't feel beat up after a 60 mile ride with one coffee stop...and this fit is very aggressive for me because the PO cut way more off the steerer than he should have.

Old 12-16-2023, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Look fun....forget about the seat stays.
No can do.
Old 12-16-2023, 04:07 PM

It's a tool not a jewel.
And this tool greatly benefits from dropped seatstays. So much better than my caad9 oof.
Old 12-18-2023, 11:55 AM

Quote:
It's a tool not a jewel.
And this tool greatly benefits from dropped seatstays. So much better than my caad9 oof.
Man, you must be a lightweight. I've never had an issue with my CAAD8's ride quality, did many many 100 mile rides on it with 23's at 120 psi and no problems. I've got a different CAAD8 now and with 27mm Vittoria Pave's, its almost as nice as my Lemond was with no BB flex. The CAAD13 must be a magic carpet in comparison, but I'm worried I would find it flexy.

I am 200 pounds though, and its pretty rare that I find a bike that I feel is harsh. However, I have found them before. I used to have a Fuji TT bike that beat the living crap out of me, I couldn't spend more than an hour on it before everything started to hurt.
Old 12-18-2023, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
Man, you must be a lightweight. I've never had an issue with my CAAD8's ride quality, did many many 100 mile rides on it with 23's at 120 psi and no problems. I've got a different CAAD8 now and with 27mm Vittoria Pave's, its almost as nice as my Lemond was with no BB flex. The CAAD13 must be a magic carpet in comparison, but I'm worried I would find it flexy.

I am 200 pounds though, and its pretty rare that I find a bike that I feel is harsh. However, I have found them before. I used to have a Fuji TT bike that beat the living crap out of me, I couldn't spend more than an hour on it before everything started to hurt.
I don't think my caad9 would have cleared anything over 25s. I also think the caad8 was less stiff and a more comfortable frame afaik. I doubt you'll find the 13 flexy if you like the 8.

There's a 54cm caad13 disc with rival etap on sale about an hour from me... It's on fb and they're asking 2k. I'm so bummed it's a size small for me. I keep trying to convince myself it'll fit lol.

Also, I used to race at like 145-150ish lbs. The 9 used to feel okay back in the day but I still used to get gnarly back pain riding it for long rides even at like 19. The CAAD13 is a game changer imho... I just wish the dang previous owner hadn't cut the steerer this damn short!
Old 12-18-2023, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I don't think my caad9 would have cleared anything over 25s. I also think the caad8 was less stiff and a more comfortable frame afaik. I doubt you'll find the 13 flexy if you like the 8.

There's a 54cm caad13 disc with rival etap on sale about an hour from me... It's on fb and they're asking 2k. I'm so bummed it's a size small for me. I keep trying to convince myself it'll fit lol.

Also, I used to race at like 145-150ish lbs. The 9 used to feel okay back in the day but I still used to get gnarly back pain riding it for long rides even at like 19. The CAAD13 is a game changer imho... I just wish the dang previous owner hadn't cut the steerer this damn short!
Put a Specialized Hover bar, or similar riser bar on it. They don't look bad, and can give you an inch or so....depending on which one you choose.
Old 12-19-2023, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Put a Specialized Hover bar, or similar riser bar on it. They don't look bad, and can give you an inch or so....depending on which one you choose.
I need to do that with my 13 already... PO cut the steerer too damn short.

I really don't want to go back to a 54. It just looks wrong with a full stack of spacers, long long stem, huge post showing, and a buncha drop.

It screams 'this bike is too big for me'.

Edit: small dangit small

Last edited by ridethecliche; 12-19-2023 at 06:40 PM.

Tags
cult of caad