Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2024, 04:47 PM

Appleman are 150mm q. I went with Assioma duo-shi. I see no mention of a weight limit and haven't had any issues with them in a few hundred miles so far.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerat View Post
Appleman are 150mm q. I went with Assioma duo-shi. I see no mention of a weight limit and haven't had any issues with them in a few hundred miles so far.
265 lbs weight limit
https://powermetercity.com/product/f...eter-spindles/

Still think the mtb crank is the best option as long as the shifting is adequate. The xx1 model with 52cl is roughly 4.5mm out from axs wide or grx chainline.
Old 05-16-2024, 05:08 AM

When it comes to crank options, there’s something even better than the standard XX1 crank. The standard XX1 crank uses a -3mm offset chainring for a 55mm chainline. However, there are XX1 crankarms available with a reduced 168mm q-factor and a specific 0mm offset chainring, which achieves the MTB 55mm chainline. Essentially, the 8-bolt interface is positioned 3mm closer to the bike, minimizing its impact on the chainline.

https://support.sram.com/hc/en-us/ar...arrow-Q-factor

Additionally, my Quarq powermeter has a slight offset, reducing the chainline from 55mm to approximately 53-52mm for the big ring. The chainline measurement is taken between the small and big rings, resulting in a few more millimeters of adjustment. The GRX 11-speed chainline, at 46.9mm, works well overall.

As for cost considerations, I initially opted for the more affordable pedal option, which cost me 220 euros. However, I’ve now come across a set of these crankarms for sale at 240 euros, and I’m tempted to order them to validate my thoughts.
Old 05-16-2024, 05:59 AM

Q-Factor

I have used White Industries cranksets with the MTB cranks on 1x and 2x road bikes for quite awhile to widen the Q-factor. Works great. Currently running 1x with their road spindle for 68mm bottom bracket and the mtb cranks which widen out on my Ritchey Road Logic disc. Works great. I ran similar setup 1x and 2x on my carbon Cannondales in the past with no problems. I am not a very large person, but the narrow q-factor generally gave me knee pain. My trainer, mtb's and gravel bike had the wider q, so I figured why not? I then increased the q-factor on the road bike and knee pain has been gone for me. Of course everyone is different, but it works for me. It would seem that the mtb cranks would be stronger than increased length pedal spindles.
Old 05-22-2024, 05:06 PM

Latest update, unless something extraordinary occurs.

Last week, I focused on recovery rides—four 50-kilometer outings at a steady pace. During these rides, the pedals felt like a natural extension of my legs, requiring minimal thought or effort.

However, today’s club ride pushed my limits. Intense bursts of power and rapid accelerations demanded more from my pedal system. The pedals held up remarkably well. I could apply power without overanalyzing my leg movements.

I recommend these pedals to individuals with specific axle length requirements or those who struggle with stability on mainstream pedal systems. In terms of solidity, they outperform any other pedals I’ve tried.

So, if you’re seeking a reliable and less conventional pedal experience, consider giving these a try.
Old 05-23-2024, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainomo View Post
Latest update, unless something extraordinary occurs.

Last week, I focused on recovery rides—four 50-kilometer outings at a steady pace. During these rides, the pedals felt like a natural extension of my legs, requiring minimal thought or effort.

However, today’s club ride pushed my limits. Intense bursts of power and rapid accelerations demanded more from my pedal system. The pedals held up remarkably well. I could apply power without overanalyzing my leg movements.

I recommend these pedals to individuals with specific axle length requirements or those who struggle with stability on mainstream pedal systems. In terms of solidity, they outperform any other pedals I’ve tried.

So, if you’re seeking a reliable and less conventional pedal experience, consider giving these a try.
I'm glad you're getting on well with the Keywins - they are a fantastic design. Interestingly, John Winkie, the man behind Keywin (see if you can figure out how he came up with the product name) invented his first pair of 'speed pedals', as he called them, before Look released their first design.

It's a shame that they're not better promoted or marketed because I think a great many folks would enjoy them. They aren't glamorous looking and look downright agricultural to some, but they function fantastically with the nicest float sensation I've ever encountered.

I do wish they would make a 3 degree end cap option, though. I think that would be nice for those who don't want the full six degrees of float and would be comparable to Shimano's blue cleat.
Old 05-23-2024, 12:29 PM

Would you be able to go with a wider Q-Factor than the 65mm Speedplay spindle?

If yes, you could try some pedal extensions. With a standard Ultegra pedal that would get you into the 66-70mm effective spindle length range depending on how you set up your cleats:
18mm length option from KCNC.
16mm Length option that's pretty cheap.

I'd avoid messing with the chainline / crank situation. A very expensive solution that you can't transfer over to other bikes (and may negatively impact drivetrain wear).
Old 05-24-2024, 04:49 PM

I was warned by my bike fitter and several online sources that using those extender was a bit dangerous, first due to additional length = torque on the crank/pedal inserts and second the fact that there was an additional mechanical interface which might fail. I would have had to switch the cranks to an aluminum 8 bolt crank at the very least so i decided to pass on extenders.

Very happy with the pedals, they work as expected/desired!