View Single Post
Old 05-02-2024, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benadrian View Post
Okay, I wax amateur style and found that it has been really great. Wax-based lube in between immersions.

I have had this question, but never a good place to ask. I'll ask here:
Everyone talks about having to clean the chain very, very well with usually harsh chemicals. What happens if you don't do this? What happens if you clean it, but maybe to 95% of clean, but not 100% of clean?

My hypothesis is that the remaining factory grease will either impede wax from getting in, or break down the wax more quickly. Of course, I've never tested this.

I ask because I degreased and cleaned my chain quite well, but not to the "acetone bath" level. The waxing seems to work great. I presume it would just be better if I did a better cleaning.

Cheers!
Do the best you can, then give in one more soak and call it a day. The difference between a new chain and on older, dirty one being waxed is fairly dramatic, from my very limited experience. The new one seems to hold the wax better. Could be that the small amount of dirt left (and there will always be a small amount left) does impede the wax penetration. Could be my imagination. Either way, I ill not bother cleaning an old chain. Run it until dead, then switch