View Single Post
Old 05-02-2024, 12:49 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by onekgguy View Post
Oh, man! That's not gravel! Thems be rocks! I don't think I'd be a gravel cyclist if that's what I had to ride. That seems much more like mountain biking than gravel riding. How far is a typical gravel ride for you?

The worst we see here is maybe 2" chunks of gravel that in time will be absorbed into the road's limestone surface and make for a fairly smooth ride.

I lived in San Diego in the mid to late '70s. It's where I fell in love with road riding on my 1976 Eisentraut Limited that I bought from a guy in the city who was getting married and needed cash.

Kevin g
Well, that was intended as an exaggeration. At the end of that section I was definitely of the "this is not fun" mindset, but there were many great pieces to compensate.

Length really depends. There are shorter loops like this, 22 miles and 2400', about 40% of which is dirt. I can extend it to this, 39 miles and 5k', flipping the dirt/road split. Or if you want to go crazy, here's a local segment that covers nearly 60 miles and 10k'. There are portions of that route that are definitely as bad as what you saw in my video.

My serious riding also started in the 70s when I was a student in Santa Cruz, first on a too-big Masi then on the Gios that I still own. It's still one of my favorite places to ride, though I'm amazed that I was able to do those climbs with a low gear of 42/21.